This recipe was one of the first sweet things I made for Frankie and Me. It’s got very little sugar (honey only) and has a delightfully rich, yet fluffy quality. I came up with the recipe after trying one from an organic cafe in our street. It was so dense and tasty, I had to attempt one myself, and so this recipe was created. I used almond meal and coconut oil to give it that denseness, and some flax seeds for the extra kick of fibre.
This banana bread is a huge hit with everyone, even Frankie, and makes the house smell amazing.
- 1/3 cup Melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Rice syrup or Honey
- 2 Ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond meal
- 1/4 cup Flax seeds (optional, but recommended)
- 1 small pinch Salt
- Preheat your oven to 170°
- Whisk the honey and coconut oil together. Add the mashed banana and milk (if your coconut oil solidifies, just place the bowl in the microwave for 10 seconds). Let it cool down before adding the eggs.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon and salt, then whisk till blended.
- Using a spoon, stir in the flour, almond meal and flax seeds until just combined (you don’t want to over work the dough as it will come out too tough).
- Pour into a lined baking loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool down in the tin for 10 minutes, then take it out and rest for another 10 before slicing and tucking in.
*Served immediately, or stored wrapped in tin foil for up to 1 week. Make sure you warm it up before eating.